Why do we use one hand more than the other? (Thinkstock)
Why do we use one hand more than the other?

You asked us, why do we use one hand more than the other?  By the age of 2 or 3, most of us have started to prefer using one hand, typically the right.

Only about 10 percent of us end up as southpaws - basically all of the evil, witchy, criminal-type people out there. Just kidding! I'm just trying to mess with you, because we don't believe in that crazy talk anymore.

But why do we develop into righties and lefties? That question has more than a few scientists scratching their heads, with their dominant hand of course. (It's going to get worse.)

Handedness in humans probably goes way back, maybe as far as our Neanderthal ancestors or even earlier. Some researchers suggest the trait evolved as our tools became more sophisticated.

But why the right hand came to dominate the left is anybody's guess, although we do know that genetics plays a role in handedness and that it's possible hundreds of genes are involved.

But, a person's environment is important too, just ask your grandma. In the past, lefties often had to learn how to write with their favored hand tied behind their back, and even today, we basically live in a right-handed world, forcing many a lefty's hand when it comes to using scissors, writing at a desk or even zipping up a jacket.
Until, that is, you get a lefty into the boxing ring or at home plate, when an element of surprise gives them the upper hand.

Why are some people left-handed?

• michaelm1-ver
    4/29/2016 - 10:13 a.m.

This still doesn´t really answer the question...

• lillianh-obr
    4/29/2016 - 01:23 p.m.

Well, in the article it said that genetics was a part of it, but no one really knows why some are lefties.

• ShawnaWeiser-Ste
    4/29/2016 - 02:37 p.m.

Most of my family is right-handed so when I was younger, I thought it was genetics. Then I just thought that we just chose one at birth and used that for the rest of our lives.

• rashanp-612-
    5/02/2016 - 08:35 a.m.

Some people are left-handed because they had used that hand at a younger age which makes them more comfortable using that hand.

• nicholasj-bag
    5/02/2016 - 07:54 p.m.

Some people could be left handed but it depends on there genes.

• dylanw-hug
    5/03/2016 - 12:44 p.m.

im a righty

• ravend-bag
    5/03/2016 - 07:02 p.m.

People are supposedly left handed because of millions of genes but scientists really don't know for sure.

• julianc-bag
    5/04/2016 - 11:20 p.m.

No they did not answer the question in the title.

• holdeno-3-bar
    5/05/2016 - 07:27 p.m.

Some people are left-handed because they get to choose. When expounding on people's handedness, the author said that "by the age of 2 or 3, most of us have started to prefer using one hand" (par. 1) Although genes play a role in what the dominant hand of people will be, people still get to pick which hand they are going to use. With two choices, there will have to some who choose option "A" and some who choose option "B." Thus, some people become left-handed.
    I can relate to this article because I am left-handed, and I know how society is tailored more towards right-handers.

• ryleighr-ter
    5/06/2016 - 02:50 p.m.

It makes sense now. Now I have a decent idea why I use the hand that I use. Everyone in my family is right handed. It may really have something to do with genes.