Dog swallows 111 pennies, vet removes them
The pet pooch named “Jack” swallowed 111 pennies. He ingested them while licking up crumbs from a leftover bagel.
So dog doctors put Jack under anesthesia and methodically removed all 111 coins. The zinc in the coins posed a lethal threat to the canine’s kidneys and liver. Veterinarians spent 2 hours to save the dog and remove the pennies.
“If Jack would not have had the pennies removed the consequences would have been fatal,” said Dr. Amy Zalcman.
Jack showed absolutely no ill effects from his poorly advised meal.
The dog's owner says his best friend is back to his normal self, driving him crazy.
Critical thinking challenge: What would have happened to Jack if the pennies had not been removed?
- Posted on March 13, 2013